Thursday, August 11, 2011

I Can Only Imagine.

Have you ever read the book "90 Minutes in Heaven" by Don Piper? I finished reading it a couple weeks ago and I highly recommend it! He talks mostly about his death, being brought back to life, and his healing process through it all. But he also talks about his time in Heaven.  And how it is so much more than he could ever explain in human terms. He said the colors were 100% more vibrant than the colors we see on Earth. I shared a little in church this past Sunday how that I love admiring God's creation! I don't know if it's my photographic/artist eye, but every detail He has created truly amazes me. Right down to the small details on a butterfly's wing.  God is so awesome at what He does! He is the Master Artist! And it made me think about how He has created all of this for us to enjoy. It made me think about that book, as we sang "I Can Only Imagine". I can only imagine what Heaven will be like, but did you know He have us a little taste of it when He created the Heavens and the Earth! He has given us a small taste of what colors are. Of what sunshine looks like. How beautiful are the trees and the mountains and the oceans. How beautiful is all of His creation! And yet is is only a small taste of what Heaven will be like. I can only imagine.

That said, I going to change the subject a bit. There is one part from this book that I really wanted to share with you b/c it spoke to my heart personally. It is from Chapter 14, "The New Normal".  He says, "Some things happen to us from which we never recover, and they disrupt the normalcy of our lives. That's how life is. Human nature has a tendency to ry to reconstruct old ways and pick up where we left off. If we're wise, we won't continue to go back to the way things were (we can't anyway). We must instead forget the old standard and accept a 'new normal'. I wasted a lot of time thinking about how I used to be healthy and had no physical limitations. In my mind, I'd reconstruct how life ought to be, but in reality, I knew my life would never be the same. I had to adjust and accept my physical limits as part of my new normal."

Isn't that how we humans are? Something comes along and completely rearranges our little "perfect" world. We try so hard to "go back" to our old lives that we waste endless amounts of time that we could have been spending to move forward instead of backwards. We can't go back. But we can go forward. Sometimes I find myself fretting over "what used to be". I worry about what ppl think and what they say. Sometimes I worry myself sick over stuff. I always like to say "Why worry when you can pray?" And yet find myself being a worry-wart! Wasting my time on things that are beyond my control.  God wants us to move on with our lives and accept what is our new normal. And sometimes I just have to be reminded to let go & let God so that I can move forward with my life and accept my new normal.

I really enjoyed this book! I will admit, there are a few gruesome details about some of this guy's injuries and healing that I had to skip. (My mind and stomach can't handle stuff like that.) But over all, I was blessed in reading it and would highly recommend it to anyone!

Hope you enjoyed today's post. Blessing to you as our week ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged! Let's try to use this space a place to encourage each other and lift each other up. God bless!